You know what a dentist does – everything from fillings to fluoride treatments, cleans to crowns. Mostly, they do work to treat any oral health problems. But did you know that we also have dental hygienists in our practice, who work closely with our dentists and dental assistants?
Our dental hygienists form an integral part of the Island Dental team and our approach to taking the very best care of your dental health. The dental hygienic clean of your teeth is a vital step towards proactively preventing dental problems from occurring and maintaining your optimal dental health for life.
A focus on preventing dental problems
At Island Dental, we believe that our preventive dental hygiene program is the key to keeping your teeth healthier for life. While it’s good to book in for regular check-ups with your dentist, we’d also like to:
- Help you take the best care of your teeth at home, in-between appointments
- Be aware of what causes dental problems, such as decay and gum disease, and develop the skills necessary to control them.
That’s why we offer the services of our dental hygienists. They will partner with you to ensure you get the highest quality oral health care possible.
What does a dental hygienist do?
At an appointment with a dental hygienist, they can:
- Teach you how to look after your teeth with oral hygiene instructions and education, such as proper brushing and flossing techniques
- Scale, clean and polish your teeth
- Apply fluoride for better protection
- Take dental X-rays
- Perform a complete health assessment – depending on your needs, we’ll work out a program of dental care just for you and keep track of it, with the aim of improving your dental health and eliminating dental problems
What else is a dental hygienist trained to do?
Importantly, a dental hygienist can also look for signs of gum disease, such as periodontitis, and provide other preventive dental care. They can perform the following services:
- VELscope scans – an oral health scan that’s important for detecting oral cancer
- Fissure sealants – a filling procedure that aims to prevent decay
- Non-surgical treatment of periodontal disease – for more information, see gum disease management
- Fresh breath programs
- Saliva tests
- Impressions and dental study models
- Diagnodent readings – a laser system that detects cavities
Preventive dental care is about more than keeping your teeth clean.
Book an appointment with Island Dental!
Island Dental in West Lakes, Adelaide is proud of our beautiful practice, safe and calming environment, and efficient and friendly team.