TMD and TMJ symptoms: From Adelaide’s Island Dental
TMJ Disorder is also known as ‘great impostor’ because this dysfunction has multiple overlapping symptoms that are often mistaken as other medical or dental issues.
We have seen many people suffer most of their lives in pain, not understanding the cause nor realizing that it can be treated.
The Signs and Symptoms of a TMJ Disorder
If you have a TMJ Disorder you may suffer from one or more of the following symptoms:
- Clicking, popping, grating sounds in the ear or joint
- Limited opening of the mouth
- Locked jaw
- Pain or soreness around the jaw joint
- Neck, shoulder or back pain
- Facial pain especially in the temples around the eyes
- Clenching or grinding of the teeth (bruxism)
- Sensitive and sore teeth
- Unexplained loose teeth
- Worn chipping or cracked teeth
- Cracking, chipping or breaking dental restorations
- Ringing in the ears
- Ear congestion or stuffiness
- Numbness, tingling in the fingers or arms
The head and neck are the most complicated parts of the body. Other health problems can present some of the same symptoms as TMD, therefore it is especially important to have a proper diagnosis for successful treatment. Call Island Dental in West Lakes Adelaide on (08) 8449 9777 to make an appointment to diagnose your TMD and TMJ symptoms.